Thursday, November 12, 2015

Three Things Thursday 11.12.15

Three Things Thursday 11.12.15

Diwali ki Shubkamanye! 

Yesterday, was day three of the five days of the Hindu Diwali celebration. Day three is largest celebration, families around the world do Ganesh Puja, to remove any obstacles in their lives, and they also pray to Maa Lakshmi, to bring them good health and prosperity. Families light up their homes with earthen diyas, so Maa Lakshmi can find her way to their home. Also, Diwali signifies the victorious win of good over evil, as Lord Ram made his way back to his kingdom with his wife Sita Maiya, after fourteen years in exile and the fight against the demon Ravan. 

Over the years, my family and I would do Diwali puja at our home, light up all the diyas around our home, and then we would head to my Aunt's house for aarti and dinner. Immediately following the aarti, my aunt would distribute approximately twenty different types of homemade mithai for prashad as everyone went around hugging each other "Diwali mubarak! Happy Diwali! Diwali diyan lakh lakh vadaiyan!"

My aunt passed away last year and this was our second Diwali without her. Nobody has stepped up to take over the celebrations, it was too much of a loss for everyone, and things just wouldn't be the same. We have tried to create new traditions, however there is still a bittersweetness to the holiday. As I decorated the house, I was able to think of all the wonderful memories of the Diwali celebrations at my aunt's home over the years. 


Wishing you all a healthy and prosperous Diwali!


Here are three things that brightened up my Diwali week! 

1: Diwali is associated with bhajans and aarti lyrics. I never heard of any Diwali songs, unless they were upbeat party Bollywood songs.....until the Ultimate Diwali Carols...have a listen below and laugh away your worries!


                                 


2: This song from the Bollywood film Home Delivery! I had it on a loop, when my niece, nephew and I decorated diyas this past week. 




3: I set up a Diwali treat for my coworkers today in the staff room. A mixture of Indian and American sweets! Hopefully, this will encourage those that don't know about the holiday to look it up!







Check out the original bloggers from Three Thing Thursdays: Raj from Pink Chai Living, Nisha from Love Laugh Mirch, or Salma from The Write Balance